Firstly, always buy the best quality that you can afford - some jewellery may seem to be a bargain, but on inspection may be poorly made. Be assured that our jewellery is made to a high standard, and we guarantee to replace it free of charge if it fails to come up to your expectations.
- Always protect your jewellery from sharp blows, scratching, chemicals, sunlight and heat/cold. Ideally, keep gemstone and beaded jewellery flat and store in a soft lined box or pouch. Try to keep pieces apart, so that they don't rub together or tangle up.
- Wear jewellery for appropriate tasks, avoid wearing loose-fitting or elasticated bracelets when cleaning, gardening or performing sports activities....you could catch them on something and break them. Always remove jewellery before going to bed.
- Don't let your gemstones come into contact with nail polish removers, perfume and hairspray
- Never go swimming in your jewellery, chlorine in swimming pools can cause damage
Gemstone hardness is based on a standard called the Mohs scale. The higher the Mohs scale number, the harder the stone is. When the Mohs scale was developed, early gemologists tried rubbing one stone against another to see which stone caused scratching on another. Quartz (the stone that makes up sand) is rated at 7 on the Mohs scale, and that is why any gemstone with a rating of less than 7 is easily scratched (such as coral, lapis lazuli, opal, pearl, and turquoise).
Also, some stones can be quite porous (such as opal, pearl, turquoise), that is why you shouldn't leave these kind of stones immersed in water for too long.
Common stones that are damaged in sunlight, these include:
- Amethyst: becomes paler
- Ametrine: may change colour
- Aquamarine: becomes paler
- Aventurine: translucent types often lose colour
- Beryl: brown or orange types may change to pale pink
- Citrine: may change colour
- Chrysoprase: may change colour
- Kunzite: becomes pale or loses colour
- Rose Quartz: becomes paler
- Smoky Quartz: becomes paler
Activating your gemstones
When you receive your gemstone power bracelet you should carefully take it out of it's bag and place the gemstone bracelet in a glass dish.
To activate your beautiful gemstones you should first wash your hands but do not dry them. Pick your semi precious gemstones up and hold them in your hands, then place the power bracelet gemstones under cold running water and imagine the water running through the gemstones.
Put your thoughts into these semi precious gemstones and think of what you want the gemstones to help you with. For example if you have been ill for sometime, imagine that you are no longer ill and that you are full of good health.
Do not dry these power bracelet gemstones with towels. Place them on a sunny windowsill and let the rays of the sun dry them.
When your gemstones are dry they are ready to wear. Don't let anyone else touch them. If you think that someone may have held them it would be a good idea to activate the stones once again.